10 ways to use voice-activated devices in the classroom
Experts and educators offer tips on how to use Alexa, Google Home and other voice-activated devices in the classroom. These suggestions cover instructional uses and security:
- Allow students to ask the device (not the teacher) basic factual questions.
- Practice math problems, including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Set up the weekly spelling list and practice it.
- Set timers for completing tests or attending appointments outside of class.
- Record a morning announcement with plans for the day.
- Schedule a daily or weekly journal writing prompt.
- Allow Alexa to read passages for reading comprehension lessons.
- Start a daily, two-minute mindfulness activity for student self-regulation.
- Try a brain break to transition students from one subject to another while keeping them engaged and focused.
- Use the language function for students to practice foreign language conversations.