Discovery Education STEM Connect Wins CODiE Award for Best Cross-Curricular Solution
Silver Spring, MD (June 12, 2019) – Yesterday, Discovery Education’s STEM Connect, the innovative and engaging digital interdisciplinary K-8 supplemental resource built on a 4Cs STEM skills framework, was named the best cross-curricular solution of 2019 as part of the annual SIIA CODiE Awards. The prestigious CODiE Awards recognize the companies producing the most innovative Business and Education technology products across the country and around the world. Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms.
Built to bring STEM to life and enhance core curriculum, STEM Connect helps students develop the creative, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills they need for success beyond graduation. Featuring flexible, modular learning units, STEM Connect provides students an easy-to-follow educational experience through high-quality interdisciplinary resources that can be used in a wide variety of classrooms and across all subjects.
“STEM education is about preparing students for the world beyond the classroom, and STEM Connect helps me achieve that goal in all subjects and with all learners,” said Laura Dawes, an elementary school Media Specialist in Alabama’s Mobile County Public Schools. “STEM Connect winning the 2019 CODiE Award for Best Cross Curricular Solution just validates what I’ve known since I’ve started using the service in my classroom.”
Among STEM Connect’s key features are:
- Real-World Challenges– Inspired by the National Academy of Engineering’s Grand Challenges for Engineering and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, STEM Connect’s Real World Challenges inspire younger students to pursue solutions to personal, local issues while middle school students explore possible solutions to more complex, global problems.
- Career Connections– STEM Connect provides students with opportunities to learn about diverse STEM careers in context and connects the skills they are using in the classroom to real situations around the world.
- Content Connection Activities– Ranging from math and literacy to the arts and health, the Content Connection activities ask students to apply appropriate grade-level skills in various disciplines.
- Hands-On Activities– By blending dynamic digital content with engaging opportunities for students to build, design, make, and create, STEM Connect offers a variety of hands-on activities for all students.
- Global STEM Solution Seekers– STEM Connect users are part of a global community working to solve important real-world challenges. In select units, students connect via GlobalLab, a global student laboratory, to share data and collaborate with others around the world.
STEM Connect’s dynamic digital content also supports educators’ efforts to meet existing literacy goals. Through informational text infused with fictional stories and characters, STEM Connect challenges students to solve relevant and engaging real-life problems as it deepens student engagement and builds depth of understanding.
“Discovery Education is proud of SIIA’s recognition of STEM Connect and we thank the CODiE Award judges’ for their dedication to reviewing all the services in this year’s competition as well as the members of SIIA who voted for STEM Connect,” said Pete Weir, Chief Product Officer Discovery Education. “Discovery Education was built with a clear mission: to support educators, engage students, inspire curiosity and impact outcomes. We are proud of the role STEM Connect plays in supporting that mission and this recognition will no doubt encourage the Discovery Education team to create even more innovative products and services educators can use to build meaningful cross-curricular learning experiences for all students.”
Previous Discovery Education SIIA CODiE award winners include Discovery Education Streaming Plus, which was recognized as the best source for reference or education resources, and the Social Studies Techbook Series, which was selected as the best social sciences or social studies instructional solution. In addition, Discovery Education’s Science Techbook series was recognized as the best science/health instructional solution.
Educators using Discovery Education STEM Connect are supported in their efforts to build cultures of STEM teaching and learning by the Discovery Education Community. A global community of education professionals, the Discovery Education Community connects members across school systems and around the world through social media, virtual conferences, and in-person events, fostering valuable networking, idea sharing, and inspiration.
“The 2019 CODiE award winners represent the best of a new class of innovative products that are disrupting education and adding new efficiencies for educators and administrators. These exciting new products are opening doors for learners of all ages by developing and utilizing new technologies to respond to student and educator needs,” said Jeff Joseph, SIIA President. “Congratulations to Discovery Education and all our honorees!”
The winner announcement was made by the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA), the principal trade association for the software and digital content industries, during the SIIA Ed Tech Conference & CODiE Awards in San Francisco. Thirty-four awards were given for products and services deployed specifically for education and learning professionals.
A SIIA CODiE Award win is a prestigious honor, as each award winner was first reviewed by expert judges including educators and administrators whose evaluations determined the finalists. SIIA members then vote on the finalist products, and the scores from both rounds are tabulated to select the winners.
For more information about Discovery Education’s STEM Connect, digital curriculum resources, and professional learning services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest.