Discovery Education STEM Connect Named SIIA Education Technology CODiE Award Finalist
Silver Spring, MD (May 2, 2019) Discovery Education, the leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms, today announced that STEM Connect was named a 2018 SIIA CODiE Award finalist in the Best Cross-Curricular Solution category. Finalists represent applications, products and services from developers of educational software, digital content, online learning services and related technologies across the PreK-20 sector.
Discovery Education STEM Connect is an innovative and engaging digital interdisciplinary K-8 supplemental resource built on a 4Cs STEM skills framework. Built to bring STEM to life and enhance core curriculum, STEM Connect helps students develop the creative, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills they need for success beyond graduation. Featuring flexible, modular learning units, STEM Connect provides students an easy-to-follow educational experience through high-quality interdisciplinary resources that can be used in a wide variety of classrooms and across all subjects.
Among STEM Connect’s key features are:
- Real-World Challenges– Inspired by the National Academy of Engineering’s Grand Challenges for Engineering and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, STEM Connect’s Real World Challenges inspire younger students to pursue solutions to personal, local issues while middle school students explore possible solutions to more complex, global problems.
- Career Connections– STEM Connect provides students with opportunities to learn about diverse STEM careers in context and connects the skills they are using in the classroom to real situations around the world.
- Content Connection Activities– Ranging from math and literacy to the arts and health, the Content Connection activities ask students to apply appropriate grade-level skills in various disciplines.
- Hands-On Activities– By blending dynamic digital content with engaging opportunities for students to build, design, make, and create, STEM Connect offers a variety of hands-on activities for all students.
- Global STEM Solution Seekers– STEM Connect users are part of a global community working to solve important real-world challenges. In select units, students connect via GlobalLab, a global student laboratory, to share data and collaborate with others around the world.
STEM Connect’s dynamic digital content also supports educators’ efforts to meet existing literacy goals. Through informational text infused with fictional stories and characters, STEM Connect challenges students to solve relevant and engaging real-life problems as it deepens student engagement and builds depth of understanding.
Educators using Discovery Education STEM Connect are supported in their efforts to build cultures of STEM teaching and learning by the Discovery Education Community. A global community of education professionals, the Discovery Education Community connects members across school systems and around the world through social media, virtual conferences, and in-person events, fostering valuable networking, idea sharing, and inspiration.
The SIIA CODiE Awards are the premier awards for the software and information industries and have been recognizing product excellence for over 30 years. The awards offer 91 categories that are organized by industry focus of education technology and business technology. Discovery Education STEM Connect was honored as one of 152 finalists across the 39 education technology categories.
“I am impressed by the level of innovation and creativity demonstrated by the 2018 CODiE award finalists. These products are opening doors for learners of all ages by developing and utilizing new technologies to respond to student and educator needs.” said Ken Wasch, President of SIIA.
The SIIA CODiE Awards are the industry’s only peer-reviewed awards program. Educators and administrators serve as judges and conduct the first-round review of all education nominees. Their scores determine the SIIA CODiE Award finalists, and SIIA members then vote on the finalist products. The scores from both rounds are tabulated to select the winners.
“Discovery Education is honored by the CODiE Award judges’ recognition of STEM Connect,” said Scott Kinney, President of K-12 Education at Discovery Education. “The validation by educators and administrators of our effort to provide students worldwide dynamic STEM learning experiences is incredibly gratifying. This recognition encourages my colleagues and I as we develop and launch new digital curriculums and supplemental services that support the success of all learners.”
Details about each finalist are listed at http://www.siia.net/codie/Finalists
For more information about Discovery Education’s digital curriculum and resources, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest.