Discovery Education Adds Dynamic New Content to Award Winning Digital Services
–New Digital Assets Support the Creation of Dynamic Digital Learning Environments-
Silver Spring, Md. (April 19, 2018)– Discovery Education, the leading provider of digital content and professional development for K-12 classrooms, announced today it has added a variety of new digital assets to its award-winning supplemental and digital textbook services. This new content empowers educators to create dynamic digital learning environments that engage students and boost academic achievement.
Discovery Education continues to power its services with some of the best content from Discovery Inc.’s family of networks. New episodes of Science Channel’s Secrets of the Underground are now live in Discovery Education Streaming Plusand the Social Studies Techbook. In addition, Discovery Channel’s MythBusters are back and will soon be added to Streaming Plus and Science Techbook. Also, new episodes of Street Science, Outrageous Acts of Science, and America: Facts vs. Fiction are scheduled to be added to Streaming Plus and the Social Studies and Science Techbooks in the coming weeks.
Discovery Education has also developed many new educational assets in-house. Among the resources recently added to Discovery Education’s digital services are:
· Spotlight on StrategiesVideos. Available in all Discovery Education services, the Spotlight on Strategiesseries offers creative, research-based instructional strategies developed for teachers, by teachers. New strategies added to Discovery Education services include “The 4Cs,” “Pause and Play,” “Eye Spy,” and “Placemat.” Each short video is hosted by the teacher who designed the strategy and offers easy-to-implement ideas for integrating digital assets in meaningful and practical ways.
· STEM Career Profiles: Recently added to Discovery Education Streaming Plusand the new STEM Connectservice, these new profiles showcase professionals using STEM in their careers and explore the skills students need to succeed in diverse fields such as architecture, biomedical engineering, and entrepreneurship.
· Exclusive Multilingual STEM Content:Available in English and Arabic, the series Ask Grandpaintroduces elementary students to core science concepts through a clever, interactive story. New elementary and middle school math clips cover topics such as equations and inequalities and measurement with engaging animations and real-world examples. All programs are included in Discovery Education Streaming Plus in the U.S. and worldwide.
· Unique Financial Literacy Resources:Debuting in Discovery Education Streaming Plus, the ‘Cha-Ching Money Smart Kids’ financial literacy series, developed in partnership with Jackson Charitable Foundation, prepares elementary students with the knowledge, tools, and practice they need to make informed decisions to reach their goals and dreams.
· Timely Health Resources:On the Frontlines of the Opioid Epidemic: A Community Fighting Back Virtual Field Trip, has been added to Discovery Education Streaming Plus.Developed in partnership with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA),this virtual field trip takes students to the community of Huntington, West Virginia as they bring to light their story of hope, healing, heart, and a hard-won stake against the national opioid epidemic.
“Over the last few years, digital content has become an integral part of teaching and learning in my classroom,” Melissa Murray, a second grade teacher in the Marysville Joint Unified School District. “Discovery Education’s dedication to constantly updating and improving its digital services is one of the many reasons I look to them to power my digital learning environment.”
“High-quality digital content specifically developed for diverse student audiences and curated by experts for ease of access is, in my opinion, among the most powerful teaching resources available to educators today,” said Marty Creel, Discovery Education’s Chief Academic Officer. “We are pleased to add this content to our family of digital services, as we truly believe it empowers educators to create the dynamic learning environments today’s students demand and deserve.”
Discovery Education Streaming Plusis a comprehensive digital service supplementing instruction across all K-12 curricular areas that helps build students’ mastery in interpreting, understanding, and evaluating information across all subject areas. Students can access a variety of digital assets including images, primary source documents, podcasts, oral interviews, books on tape, articles, videos, and more, they are empowered to become content creators with a suite of content creation tools that help teachers and students safely and easily collaborate in real-time on virtual projects. Teacher resources include lesson plans, instructional strategies, and content collections organized around themes, as well as a collection of new STEM resources designed to fuel a cultural shift in teaching and learning.
Discovery Education’s Techbooks are award-winning digital textbooks aligned to rigorous standards, supportive of a comprehensive curriculum, and updated regularly at no cost. Utilizing an inquiry-based format built on the 5E model, Discovery Education’s Science Techbook helps teach students to read, write, and think like scientists through hands-on labs, digital explorations, an interactive glossary, and data analysis activities. The Social Studies Techbook series uses an inquiry-based instructional approach that emphasizes informational text literacy, analytical writing, and problem-solving skills that students will apply in the classroom and beyond. Each subject area includes primary source documents and activities, digital investigations, multimedia reference library, interactive maps, and more.
Discovery Education’s STEM Connectenhances core curriculum and brings STEM to life in classrooms. A cutting-edge, web-based, interdisciplinary K-8 supplemental resource built on a 4Cs STEM skills framework, STEM Connect helps students develop the creative, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills they need for success beyond graduation. Featuring flexible, modular learning units, STEM Connect provides students an easy-to-follow educational experience that includes real-world challenges, career connections, and hands-on activities.
For more information about Discovery Education’s Streaming Plus and other services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the UK, and more than 50 countries worldwide. Discovery Education partners with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that increase academic achievement, and is powered by Discovery Inc. (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK). Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.