Earmark federal funds to travel to LRP’s National Institute® in 2022
Did you know you can use ESSER funds to travel for professional development so long as it is reasonable and necessary? With a new president, new federal guidance and regulations, precedential court decisions, and a changed learning environment, attendance at LRP’s National Institute on Legal Issues of Educating Individuals with Disabilities® is more important than ever for special educators. Mark your calendar and register today to attend the in-person event April 24 -27, 2022, at the Kentucky International Convention Center in Louisville, Ky.
The three iterations of the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund, as authorized by the CARES Act, CRRSA Act, and ARP Act, allow the use of funds for any activities that are authorized under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, the IDEA, Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act, and Adult Education and Family Literacy Act.
This means ESSER funds can be used for the same allowable professional development and training activities for which ESEA funds can be used, including travel to conferences for professional development.
According to the Uniform Grants Guidance, federal funds can be used for the following if they are properly accounted for and meet the reasonable and necessary standard:
- Attending a conference, including registration, room, and travel.2 CFR 200.432.
- Hosting a conference, such as speaker fees, facility rental fees, and transportation costs, unless restricted by the federal program.2 CFR 200.432.
- Membership in business, technical, or professional organizations.2 CFR 200.454 (a).
- Online professional courses.2 CFR 200.472.
- Subscription to a business, technical, or professional periodical.2 CFR 200.454 (b).
As always, consult your state and local spending rules and regulations, and be sure to maintain adequate documentation to meet reporting requirements under the federal Education Department General Administrative Regulations and the Uniform Grants Guidance.