Atlanta Elementary School Did Not Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

By the time the school bell rang at Finch Elementary School, the building in southwest Atlanta had carbon monoxide levels few firefighters had ever seen.

“Some of the levels we got were extremely high,” said Atlanta Fire Battalion Chief Todd Edwards. Carbon monoxide “can kill you in a minute.”

Firefighters think the school’s heating system went bad sometime over the weekend. So the colorless, odorless gas had been building up for days, waiting for students to arrive.

Read more »